SKJÖLDEBRAND, Anders Frederik.
Description des cataractes et du canal de Trollhätta en Suède; avec un précis historique.
À Stockholm: Imprimée chez Charles Delén,1804
4to, 1 leaf, pp. 47, (1), 1 leaf, aquatint title-page to the plates and 12 aquatint plates (including 1 map), all drawn and engraved by the author. Modern marbled boards, red morocco label on spine. A fine and large copy, uncut on the fore-edge.
SOLE EDITION. The Trollhätta canal was the first section of a canal eventually built across southern Sweden linking the Kattegat, and hence the North Sea, to the Baltic, incorporating lakes Vänern and Vättern. The river Götha linked lake Vättern to Gothenberg and was used for the transport of wood to the port but the Trollhätta falls were a serious obstacle and required cargoes to be unloaded and reloaded. These spectacular falls were bypassed by means of the Trollhätta canal cut through solid rock, with eight locks rising to a height of 112 feet. It was begun in 1793 and completed in 1800. Work on the Götha canal proper was begun in 1810 and was by far the greatest civil engineering project ever undertaken in Sweden up to that time. Much of the expertise and equipment had to be acquired from abroad, notably from Britain, whose canal system was the most advanced in the world at that time. Thomas Telford developed the initial plans for the canal and oversaw some of the early work on the route. It was officially opened on 26 September 1832.