LAMANDÉ, Mandé Corneille.
Pont en pierre à construire sur la Seine, à Rouen. Deuxième devis des ouvrages; précédé d’un mémoire sur les projets proposés, sur les moyens de construction, et sur la situation des travaux au 1er janvier 1813.
A Paris: Chez Goeury, Librarie des Ingénieurs… 1815
4to, 2 leaves (half-title and title), 135 pages, and 1 long folding plate of the bridge. Original blue marbled wrappers (spine a little worn), uncut. Folding plate a little spotted, otherwise a very clean copy. Small bookplate of “L’Ingénieur Maillebiau”.
FIRST EDITION. The new bridge over the Seine at Rouen was decided upon in 1810 and work began the following year following the plans of Lemasson. In 1812 it was placed under the direction of Lamandé, who proposed several changes. It consists of two equal parts, which may be considered as two distinct bridges not in line with each other, their axes comprising an angle of 146º in order to bring the two bridges perpendicular to the two arms of the river. Each bridge consists of three segmental arches, the middle ones having a span of 101 feet 8 inches and the lateral arches a span of 85 feet 3 inches. Lamandé gives a history of the bridges at Rouen, beginning with Queen Matilda’s bridge of c. 1160. That was replaced one of boats which lasted for nearly two centuries, and was in turn replaced by this new bridge. It was destroyed in 1940. See Cresy, E., An encyclopædia of civil engineering (1847), 1, p. 276.