A Plan of the Course of the River Dun, from Sheffield to its confluence with the Ouse, shewing all the cuts made, & those intended to be made, to facilitate the navigation thereof: Drawn by Wm. Fairbank.
[No place or engraver,]1801
Engraved map, 27.8 x 93.3 cm. wide across the platemark. Hand-coloured, title within circular cartouche, lists of the proposed alterations and locks. Paper a little browned, some minor creases, dust-soiled on the back. Early signature of Thomas Brooke in upper margin.
This engraved map by William Fairbank (c. 1771–1846), the third of that name in a family of civil engineers, shows the course of the river Dun, or Don, as it flows east from Sheffield, through Rotherham and Doncaster, to its junction with the Ouse at Goole. It is drawn to a scale of one inch to one mile. The river Don has a history of engineering works, beginning in the early sixteenth century by Cornelius Vermuyden, some of whose work is shown on this map. Despite considerable opposition the river was made navigable in the 18th century to within four miles of Sheffield. The early 19th century saw the completion of a number of canals which linked to the Don. Another plan of the Don showing intended improvements was prepared two years after the present one by William Fairbank and his brother Josiah, but these works seem never to have been carried out. Skempton 502.